Saturday, January 26, 2013

"May I have a pumpkin and orange shake??"

    I took a huge step today. It was about time too. Been putting it off for far too long. I finally attempted to do my laundry, which is still going on as I write this. At 10 PM. You can send clothes to the guesthouse, for a steep fee, which are washed, dried, and returned to you "in the afternoon". It's good if you need a couple items washed but you're short on time but not to be used for more than a few items. 
   
    Four hours of Thai lessons today with two teachers. My brain still hurts. It was from 9-11 and 1-3. We learned how to order Thai food: different types of noodles, meats, drinks. Everyone else in the class decided to order normal food that they would eat while I got creative with (these are the ways I remember how to pronounce these words, not the way the book says to) some-tom yaang when I was asked to order food, which translates to barbecued papaya salad, and  naam som fuktongue pan when I had to order a drink, which is an orange and pumpkin shake. My teachers were rather surprised at my food choices. 
   
    During break all of us set out to find the mythical  campus store. All the students at Chiang Mai University (CMU) have these cute little elephant pins and button covers so of course we American students wanted to show off our CMU spirit. Not really. It's a pretty nice accessory for our pretty bland uniforms. The adventure started by going off with two other ducklings on a campus wide search.After almost an hour and a half of walking around searching for it (the campus is ginormous!!) we located the grail. Got a dangling pin which attaches at the collar and a little chain hangs down. It's a bit more glamorous than the normal elephant pin. I still have no idea on how to get the button covers on. 
    
    Upon returning to the guest house, I noticed my laundry was not in the pick up spot. The manager of the guesthouse told me it would be done around seven so I decided to do the rest of my laundry. While wandering, two ducklings had found a do it yourself place. All you needed was detergent. But soft clothes are fantastic so fabric softener was bought as well. Along with some cookies. Then the machine I used took all my clothes and left some room but you couldn't control it. We pushed buttons but nothing changed. Which was probably a good thing since everything was written in Thai. The only issue with this place was that it didn't have a dryer so I hauled my wet clothes back to my room. The bathroom is strewn with drying clothes.The machines wouldn't lock either so one person was always with the machines to make sure our clothes weren't stolen.

    Went to dinner, came back expecting clean clothes since it was almost eight. Nothing. Now I'm freaking a little bit that the guest house stole my clothes. Or destroyed them. Went out again to get ice cream and give it a bit more time. While at the parlor I watched this show which I describe as Asian Supernatural but with one guy and a sword. Couldn't understand what they were saying since it wasn't about ordering food. 
    
    Finally got my clean clothes from the guesthouse. After nine. In the future I will definitely be going to someone who will do it for 30 baat and get it done by when they say it will be done. When I got back to my room I went to put away my clean clothes when suddenly:
 A COCKROACH, WHICH WAS STILL ALIVE!! 
    The little blob to the left of my shoe with the antennae, below the boomerang. That's it. It's not even the biggest one I've seen here. I'm ready to come home now. 
Again, sorry for the long paragraph post. Hopefully the extra spaces between the paragraphs help. Tomorrow is the elephant farm and if I can get my butt out of bed early enough I plan on getting a camera so pictures hopefully!!
Lizard Count: 4

No comments: