Monday, January 28, 2013

Meet the Ducklings

    Today, nothing extraordinary happened. In fact, most of us lounged around the guest house and took time to relax. After having something to do everyday, it was really nice to sit around without anywhere to be. There was a birthday in the group today so we went to a restaurant of their choice. We ended up at a Mexican restaurant called "Loco Elvis" where I tried my first mojito. The drinking age in Thailand is 18 and they don't card anyways. It's going to be my drink on my 21st  birthday. Checked out the Sunday market and bought a gorgeous ankle length skirt. Favorite purchase so far. My roommate and I were supposed to be back at nine so when we realized it was 9:05, we hightailed it back and met Drexler who was out looking for us. Then we gouged ourselves on this chocolate cake. I couldn't finish it and have some left in the fridge for breakfast :D.
    So, for some of you who have not caught on, the ducklings are the students on AT. It's because we follow Drexler around so closely it resembles a mother duck with her babies trailing after her. We call him Papa Duck (or bet, which is Thai for duck) because of this.
    Since the day was dull, I figured I'd describe the people I'm here with. I'm not using their real names, but some of you will be able to guess who they are. I really hope none of them read my blog.

  • Deanna
    • Deanna is a sweetheart. Her face usually wears a smile which suits her perfectly. While I am a rice girl she is into noodles, especially liking vermicelli, a type of really thin cellophane noodle. She and Karen wander around every morning and after we get back from school they coax Donna and I out to go explore with them. Although I have only seen her draw once, it was really good, which is good because she's an Art Major.
  • Donna
    • I'm rooming with Donna. We're both kind of shut-ins and she only leaves when someone asks her to go out. It's kind of grating for an invert like me who needs alone time but she's so funny that it's going really well. We get along great, even having fake fights and swap stories about our crazy families and friends (yes, I told her that story. You know which one). What's even better is that she likes lizards and is more than glad to chase them out of the room while I go hide in Deanna's and Karen's room. She likes to talk like the maid from Family Guy. For those of you who don't know who I'm talking about:
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIbvNsuUwuE
  • Alessa
    • Alessa is interesting. In the Midwestern way. At school she carried around a "bag of holding" and wears a medieval weapon around her neck. She has opinions and is not afraid to express them. All the time. Even when she's not in the conversation. Her name also sounds like mine which is annoying because my name isn't that common so hearing someone else being called by my name is incredibly frustrating. When we return she will be graduating.
  • Karen
    • Karen is always up for something. Whether it's going to see another temple or wandering around some poorly lit streets, she's there. If there are tons of cars coming she's dashing out into traffic while the rest of us are standing on the sidewalk. If anyone has watched Mulan she's very similar to the grandmother. She likes to be silly and will do weird things just for the heck of it. 
    • A few posts back I talked about how one of us saw a rat and ran across the road after screaming her head off. This is her. Nowadays she has to hold some one's hand to walk by a trash bag. 
  • Lilith
    • I have really tried to like Lilith but after two weeks with her I can't. My thinking on it is she hasn't given a reason to like her. It's more like she tries to complain, storm off, be rude, and ignore the rest of us as much as she can. Her special skill is that she can walk anywhere in high heels. 
  • Niko
    • Niko is the only boy on the trip but he's handling it very well. Spending time in Germany has prepared him for being away from his family. He is a cat person as well so we spend time swapping cat stories (although his died in a fire last year. He choose to save his brother over his cats). He has two girlfriends at Coe, something that was very fun to try to explain to our Thai teachers. Since arriving in Chiang Mai he has been living off red bean buns and our leftovers because he doesn't want to spend money. Niko likes frogs and likes to buy items with frogs on them.

No comments: