Friday, March 8, 2013

Counting Down the Days

    Our written Thai final is tomorrow and I pretty much laid around all day. Tomorrow will be more interesting since it's our last in Chiang Mai. So instead of another post about a lame day, here is a list of things I will miss here.
    Also, I just finished this book that left me balled up and crying. It was extremely well written, a good plot, but the main character was sort of bland until the end. It's about prostitution in the 1930's in Bangkok and how one prostitute falls in love with this man (who returns the love). She then finds out she's pregnant with his child and he disappears before she can tell him, leaving her to raise this child by herself. It talks about how girls are lured away from their families and literally forced into prostitution (this practice is still going on today) and how far a mother will go to ensure a better future for her child. Heart-wrenching is a good word to describe it.
Okay, here's the list.

  1. Banana pancakes and iced Milo for breakfast
  2. Wearing uniforms to school
  3. Knowing where everything is
  4. Speaking the language, even if they don't understand you 80% of the time
  5. Facebook
    1. Vietnam has banned Facebook in order to prevent any uprisings like the one in Egypt. I believe I will have internet in the hotel and hopefully with my host family.
  6. Flowy pants
  7. The reggae bar near the guesthouse
  8. Bun runs
  9. All our wonderful Thai teachers. Except for Ajan Bubble Butt. 
  10. Tai Chi. 
    1. I really had such a fun time working out with these older people. Can't wait to do it again when I come back. 
    I only have time for ten things. There are more that I will miss but I will cope until we come back. Back to studying!!

Lizard Count: 22

No comments: