Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Rain, Rain, Go Away Already!!

    We had a new class about writing in squiggles. Or as the people here call it, the written Thai language. There are about 44 consonants and 20 vowels. We have one week to cram it all in our heads before our final on Friday. This was an excellent idea. Ajan Tanya started off by telling us to write our names. A couple people started having mental break downs over this because we don't know anything about written Thai. One sound can have multiple symbols to represent it and their vowel sounds go above the consonants and my brain reverted to 'fire bad, tree pretty' at some point. The new teacher seems nice, she told us a few places to visit around Chiang Mai. Mango Tango has the best mango sticky rice, a few bars, and an accessories store called the Pink Pussy. I think they used Google translate on that one.
    The long anticipated final book meeting was held today. We talked about facts of American culture like we are supposed to be a generous culture but we're so paranoid that we have security systems. We are so worried about somebody taking our stuff that measures are taken to prevent it. Break-ins are a problem. People even rob from churches, according to members of the group. The people in the culture we read about don't think twice about inviting people they've never met into their houses for a free meal. Can you picture most Americans doing that?? Maybe a few good Samaritans or an old couple who owns a farm in the middle of nowhere and doesn't recieve visitors often but otherwise Americans are brought up to fear people they've never met. We are such a fascinating culture.
    Deanna and I were going to try visiting some temples but issues arose. Mainly, issues with beds and that she wasn't in it. Also known as she took a nap. I thought I had Tai Chi but Barbara wanted to spend time with her grand kids since it was their last night in Chiang Mai. They live in Florida so she doesn't get to see them often. I understood and resolved matters with my bed for a couple hours as well.
    I have come to the conclusion my mother lied to me about my birthdate and I am actually a very old woman. Why?? Because a 20 year-olds back should not do the things my back does. Currently I threw something out which has screwed up my ciatic nerve. Convinced Donna to get a massage when she came back from English school but then it started raining which is her one weakness. Apparently mine too since I made it to Karen and Deanna's room (which is right outside our door) then gave up as well. People keep telling us that it's not the rainy season here so it shouldn't be raining. Mother Nature doesn't agree with them. Everytime it rains I think all of us here pray that the power and internet don't go out again.

Lizard Count: 19

No comments: