Monday, March 25, 2013

Temple Run

    One of the best mornings yet. I got to sleep in till nine, even though I was up at eight. Our morning and the beginning of the afternoon was taken up by the Vietnamese/American meal with the host and some volunteer students. The American side made mac and cheese and smores while the Vietnamese made spring rolls, cucumber and some sticky desert with sugar water on the inside. I could tell that everyone liked the Vietnamese food more. They don't eat much cheese here nor do they like sugar so I guess it makes sense but it still hurt that they didn't like the way we made the food of our people.
    After we left my Hostess took me to get an ao dai made (the d is pronounced like a z. This is why I will fail Vietnamese!!). It was a long process just for a shirt and pants, plus many ridiculous moments as they had me try on different ones that were brightly colored with loose lime green pants. I resembled a clown. You have to choose between short, medium or long sleeves, collar or no collar, if yes collar how high should it be, length of the shirt, whether or not you will wear heels with it, and whether or not you will wear a push-up bra under it (it was recommended that I did). After those decisions are made comes the fabric picking for the shirt and the pants. I don't want to reveal too much but the pattern is very fall like. I'm just hoping it fits after I loose all this Asia term weight.
    Finally got to see some local temples. My Hostess took me to see the temple of love and money (though in the story of the temple it is more about fertility). Then we went to one that was by her house, although they were setting up for a performance. I was insulted there by an old man following us around to make sure we didn't steal anything and a woman coming up to us and scolding us for not wearing long sleeves at the temple.  That visit was kept short. We were supposed to go to eight temples today but between the meal lasting so long and the shopping it was shortened to two.
    Riding on the back of my Hostess' moped is much easier than I expected it to be. After the first ride I didn't need to hold on to her anymore and can balance on my own. In Hanoi, because there is so much traffic, you need to wear a face mask. It's a cross between a surgery mask and what you wear to protect your mouth when skiing. Very hot but effective. I definitely want one for when I take after my uncle and get a motorcycle.
    Spent the rest of the night hanging out around the house. I am trying to make friends with the cat but she is wary of me still. I spent some time talking with the mom. The mosquitoes have found me again and again so she is trying to convince me to switch rooms but I like the room I am staying in. Because I won't change I am now forced to use this grotesque pink mosquito net. It looks like a see through tent. But I cannot get bitten anymore so I have to use it. Oh well.

Picture Count: 44

No comments: