Thursday, February 14, 2013

Cakes of Wrath

    Midterms in Thailand are a lot more fun than they are in America. Well, except for the part where you go
        "Hello, my name is Lexi. I am from America. I am a student at Coe college. There are three members of my family (Thai family means people who live with you). I do not have a father. I do not have siblings. My mother works at the great bank (I have no clue what she does even though she has tried on several times to explain it, so I came up with this). I have six white cats (Since black is easier to say than white in Thai I said black during the exam. Cheating is encouraged here). I like to write. I like to eat sugar (it's funny because the word for sugar is nam taan which is also the word for brown. So I also said "I like to eat brown")."
    Scripted parts are never entertaining enough. After we gave our speeches we had to come up with a new one because none of us described our family members enough. We were like "You taught us this yesterday and you expect us to have it memorized and ready to go??" The teacher said yes. I didn't actually ask him but that's what he would have said if I had. 
        "I have a mother, a grandmother on my mother's side (because there are different words for your father's family members and your mother's family) and me. I am the tallest. My grandmother is the healthiest (more cheating!!). My mother's age is *censored*. My cat is the grumpiest and has blue eyes."
    During the break between classes I managed to get a huge ink stain on the back of my shirt. I feel that the pen has betrayed me.
    Last post I said Lilith's boyfriend broke up with her. Today she was excused from half of our midterm because she told Drexler she was up all night. Later, Donna informed me that she had downed a whole bottle of wine to help deal with her feelings. That's definitely healthy (sarcasm). My guess is that she was more hungover than tired today (I have seen her get pretty loose off of a shot of Amaretto. Really glad I did not see her wining (it's a pun!!)).
    The real fun was when we got to go to a market and buy fresh fruit!! Unfortunately, we were graded on it but yay fruit!! (Theory: Mosquitoes keep biting me. I am delicious. I eat lots of sugar. Mosquitoes like sugar. If I cut down on my sugar intake by eating lots of fruit instead of sugar I will not get bit as often!!) I bought two rose apples and then the teacher said some dreaded words "Would you like something else??" I stupidly said yes and promptly forgot almost everything except "What is this??". I ended up with a half kilo of mangosteens after failing to get some grapes (they're really expensive here). After that we were allowed to wander around the market, because we had never been there before, and buy some more food. As we did this I noticed the teacher was still writing things down when we ordered. We were still being graded!!
It did not really matter because most of us bought random food stuff regardless (I got this really good strawberry cake in a cup with gummies on top. I wish I had taken a picture but oh well. But then I bought some 'steamed cakes'. Worst food purchase thus far. They have no taste and have quite an odour to them which is really bad because the container they came in doesn't close once it's opened. The teacher told me they were good but he lied). 
Then we headed back to the guest house where Donna and I promptly fell asleep. We ate at an ice cream place that also has food. It was really good, pricey, but really good. When everyone left to go to the school I passed out again. I swear there was some rustling in the trash can at some point but refused to go in the bathroom for a half hour so there may have been a jing jhock but we will never know.
Here is a mangosteen. It's in season right now but don't eat the red part, only the white stuff. 
These are the evil steamed cakes. Had to hold my breath while taking this. They are cut like little hot dogs turned into octopuses. Cute, but I still don't want to eat them. 


Lizard Count: 7.5 for the possible sighting

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

fresh mangosteens run from $8 to $45 a pound in the US