Friday, February 22, 2013

“In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria.” - Benjamin Franklin

Wow, I am getting bad at updating everyday. Something I forgot to include about Tuesday: Our Thai teacher who lives mostly in Britain loves Downtown Abbey and Doctor Who!! I found this out by asking him how to say Doctor Who in Thai. It's just Doctor Who.

  • Wednesday
    • So, one of our teachers (Ajan Bubble Butt) is no longer showing up for class due to scheduling conflicts and we're getting a sub instead. She talks in English most of the time, a great change, but she gets hung up on our pronunciation. A bit annoying because she makes faces when we pronounce something wrong. Or maybe it's because I now see her as the new bubble butt. Either way, she's at the bottom of the totem pole of the teachers here.
      • On the way back Drexler taught us some bad words. Hehe. 
    • When we got back to the guesthouse Karen, Deanna, and I went shopping. Very proud of us for walking to the mall and back. Got a new pair of shoes!! They're flip flops, but unique ones. 
    • Talked about the novel we're reading for an hour. Lilith passed out multiple times, but I really wanted to nap as well. I'm almost finished with the book which is way further than we are supposed to have read. 
    • Color coordinated correctly for Tai Chi. Barbara and I keep showing up late and she apologizes for both of us in Thai. Especially since one of the ladies always greets us, takes our bags and gives us places to stand. She also tries to give us a ride home everyday. Her name is Ajan Pink (her name sounds like pink in Thai).
      • She has started calling me Little One which is a term used for children but I like it. 
    • Barbara refused to move another step after we got back and she meant it. I went out for noodles and talked to the Drexlers before I left. When I returned they were still sitting there so I found out some very interesting information. 1) I got to see them interact with each other and it's really cute and funny because she's a mother hen type and he's the same as he is with us, brash (but nice and funny at the same time) as ever. 2) He thinks Ajan BB is a word I'm not putting where my mother can read it. Drexler believes that Ajan BB should not have taken on teaching us Thai if he couldn't commit (he has missed more classes than he has taught). 
    • Convinced the Winos to get roti last night. Splurged on a delicious apple smoothie which may possibly become my new favorite flavor. 
  • Thursday
    • Had two classes today. Because of Ajan BB skipping Monday's class. We finally learned how to say activities but they were kind of un-American. "I like to ride elephants" was one thing we learned. 
      • Our second class was with Ajan Pranut, the best teacher here. We learn more than just language like today she explained the soap opera about the big girl and the little girl I mentioned a few posts back. It's actually more like Drop Dead Dive because the big girl and the little girl were in accidents at the same time. The big girl's spirit is trapped in the little girls body. The little girl's parents just split up which is why the mother's brother is taking care of the little girl. A bit more complicated than I had thought. 
      • Got insulted by Alessa today when after I asked how to say butt (because the book doesn't say!!) she said "I have an actually serious question." I gave her the stink eye for that one.
      • Thai is not a sexual culture like America is. This is best shown by how Americans view breasts as something sexy but Thais see them as where milk comes from. In fact the word for milk is the same one as for breast. Northern Thailand women used to go around topless until some woman came along a long time ago and made them embarrassed about doing this then gave them blouses to wear. 
    • Wandered into this on campus museum. Couldn't understand what it was for but it was as fancy as a temple and all in Thai. Almost tipped over a display while I was there. Probably shouldn't go back. 
    • After classes Deanna and I went to get a massage. It took a while to find a massage parlor (we were walking around for thirty minutes I believe) and we were promised a discount of 50 baat. We were given 20 off, but that's still better than paying full price. 
    • Tried to do laundry while everyone was gone. On the way back from buying detergent I walked past Lilith who made a point of ignoring me. I get the feeling she doesn't want to be friends. It rained twice today. I'm starting to doubt 
      • Bit of a problem. The machines usually use cold water because it's less expensive. It's not like you could change what it's going to do anyway since you deposit your clothes in the machine, put in the coins, and it starts going. There's no buttons or visible way to change the settings. Because of the warm water, all my previously white clothes are now a light shade of blue thanks to my blue jeans. 
    • Because of the laundry issue I didn't eat dinner early enough and didn't go out until 9:30. I'm almost completely out of money and most places close when it rains. So I decided on a simple roti. Came back and ate it with some fine strawberry wine. It has come to our attention we will be leaving for Vietnam soon and probably will not be able to take our wine with us, so it has to be gone by then. Much wining will be done between now and then. 
Going on our first trip to Laos this weekend. We have class in the morning then we fly out in the afternoon. Except Barbara who is going to Bangkok to meet her son and his kids. She's getting some grandmother time in before Drexler can. 
I found some really funny quotes about drinking here: http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/tag/drinking 
I was trying to find one about drinks but this one just fit Thailand too well. 
Deanna vs. her smoothie. 

The apple smoothie with a matching straw. They do that here. 

Me with a cream soda and jello-bits slushy. Yes, that is cream soda flavored and it tastes better than you think.

My attempt at writing 'Hi' with condensed milk.

Karen, myself, and Donna at lunch. That pink drink tastes like sugary Pepto Bismal. Donna made a comment right before this picture was taken so I was trying to keep an eye on here and pose. People criticize Americans for drinking so much soda but these drinks are full of sweet and then they pour condensed milk over it. Not sure how there are so many skinny Thai people.

Lizard Count: 10 

No comments: