Wednesday, April 17, 2013

One Can Do Too Much Shopping

    I'm going to skip to the afternoon because that's when the fun started. We had our last book meeting today. The topic was the experiences of the soldiers of the Vietnam War. Both sides. The American side was represented by The Things They Carried while the Vietnamese side had The Sorrow of War(Love). There wasn't a winner, both sides had life scarring experiences.
    Went to the Hawkers Market with the Winos. Had the same dinner as last night but it was still good. Not sure if it's the best restaurant in Chiang Mai but it's fast, inexpensive, and tasty. Then we went to the Night Bazaar. I bought some more gifts for those who aren't lucky enough to be in Asia. Very pleased with the purchases of this evening, slightly disappointed I didn't get my feet eaten by fish. I will just have to do it tomorrow. Also proud of us for walking there and then back with all our purchases. Well, mainly me. I had to switch arms because of all the bags. 
Some interesting notes
  1. Songkran disappeared. Only one person was out with a gun today and that's because she was donating it. It was so eerie to go out and not get drenched within the first minute. 
  2. Asia turns you into a cheapskate. I did not buy this picture for eight dollars because it was eight dollars. Really wondering how I'm going to deal with soda that costs three bucks instead of sixty cents. 
  3. We have fifteen days left here, but only four days left in Chiang Mai.
  4.  As the days dwindle down, many of us are running around trying to do last minute things. My list is
    1. As stated above, feet eaten by fish
    2. To ride around in a tuk-tuk 
    3. Go swimming in the moat since I didn't do it during Songkran
    4. Get a hair cut. Kind of boring, but it needs to be done. 
    5. Go accessories shopping at the Pink Pussy. 
    6. Do one last day of Tai Chi. This one may be a bit hard to do since the campus is so far away but I really want to say a proper good bye to the people there. 
    7. Eat some yellow curry. It's harder to find than you would think. 
  5. Figure out how everything is making it back. I blame my shopping habits on my Mother and Godmother. 

No comments: