Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Cambodia: The Finale

    Spent most of the day in the van riding back. Really was not in a people mood so everybody thought I was sick or something was wrong. We arrived back in Panom Penh just fine, everyone got new rooms. We are now on third floor or higher so using the sketchy elevator is mandatory (the stairs here try to kill you if you are on them for too long).
    Haven't taken pictures of temples in Cambodia so I scampered off to the closest one. Thankfully there were other tourists taking pictures so I didn't feel like such a freak. Eventually an older novice monk called me over to talk with him and I ended up staying for a half an hour. We discussed every subject possible. He told me about his mom, I told him I was Buddhist, the usual subjects. Possibly one of my odder Asia Term experiences. You see, there were workers running around setting up for something and they would sometimes come to the table the N.M. and I were sitting at for a cigarette. Then a monk came out and started smoking one as well as the N.M. Monks in Thailand don't smoke since the King told the Thai people it was bad for their health.
    After that I made another mistake: do not wander around Cambodia at night alone in a dress. I had people checking my face to see if I was white or a prostitute. I think some of them were disappointed. Tuk-tuk drivers also called out that they loved me as I walked by. Maybe it's not such a bad idea after all.
    Talked with Niko for about an hour then Deanna and Karen walked in from their  nightly walk. We noticed a deformed cricket wandering around the floor in a circle. At first we thought there was a colony of them switching sides of the room but then we started watching it and realized it was circling around. A jink-jock noticed this phenomenon at the same time but failed to catch it. The deformed cricket wandered out the door and we haven't seen him since. This hotel is really disgusting with all the bugs crawling around the lobby.
    Heading back to Thailand tomorrow, our trip is coming to a close. Well, for the rest of the people it is. I have chosen to settle down in Thailand. A cricket just landed on my hip, it flew right for it. I am definitely coming home pronto.

No comments: