Tuesday, April 16, 2013

The Last Day of Songkran... Technically

    Ate breakfast with my mom over Skype. Well, I ate, she looked on. After not seeing her for three months, it was time to talk. The internet had other ideas but it still worked out fine. 
    Ventured out into the chaos. Today the mission was to visit this pottery shop and eat at this amazing place     Karen and Deanna always rave about. Both of them were closed. So we grabbed some street food instead   (they had french fries. FRENCH FRIES!!) and took a break from everything. Then I found a stand which had shaved ice. With little gummies in the bottom and covered in evaporated milk. Before I could truly enjoy it, these too snot nosed brats dunked me in water. Rule of Songkran: If someone is eating, don't dunk them in water. I had to throw away my barely eaten bowl of sugar. Saddest moment of the day. Well, right after some kid sprayed me in the face so I ran into something so hard I broke part of my toe nail. 
    Wandered around a park after we purchased some bracelets from this tribal woman. It was six cents for a bracelet, how could we pass that kind of deal up?? Then a tribal man tried to sell us some tusks. Pretty sure those were illegal. Tried walking some more around the moat but gave up after a while. Funny thing is, when we decided to head back we were literally on the opposite side of the old district from our guest house. We got hit on the way back, I sprayed a temple with my gun (the design looked like a target!!) and then napped for hours. 
    When I woke up it was eight which meant it was a safe time to go out. There is this stand in the market across the moat that people from Chiang Mai call the best restaurant in Chiang Mai. All they serve?? Chopped up chicken with rice, some weird green veggie, a hard boiled egg and some sauce which I didn't try. There is always a huge line outside the stand. I thought it was delicious but who doesn't love chicken and rice?? 
    After that I Skyped with my mom again. It's funny because I don't just talk to her I talk to all my animals as well. My family is so crazy. While we were talking Karen and Deanna came back from seeing their student. They had volunteered at the Burmese school and their students wanted to see them while they were in town. Thing is, they had left around seven. They returned a bit before midnight. Their student had taken them out to a buffet on her boyfriends money and then dancing. They were in a very silly mood when they returned. One of the questions that had come up during the night was which was more powerful: smiles or rainbows?? A very difficult question to answer. 
    Songkran is over today according to the dates on the calender. People here don't really view the calender as rules, it's more like a guideline. 
    These photos were taken by Karen back at Angkor Wat. She was freaking out the whole time because the monkeys had tails and that made them look like rats. 

"Oh hey Monkey, you look so cute, how are you today?? Would you like a banana??" 

"Oh, you have a friend who likes bananas as well?? But I don't have anymore bananas."
"I WILL GET YOU MORE BANANAS JUST DON'T GIVE ME RABIES!!" 

Lexi: 0 Monkeys: Got bananas 
Conclusion: Don't give monkeys bananas. They are jerks.

No comments: