Monday, April 22, 2013

The Trials of Solitaire

    For those of you who have traveled, have you ever gone on a flight and been completely wiped out from it?? Cause that's what happened to all of us yesterday. The pathetic part is that the flight was just over an hour but it's the most exciting thing most of us did. We officially bid good bye to our home away from college which is our actual home away from home. The hardest part to leave behind was banana pancakes and iced ovaltine for breakfast. The best moment of the day was when most of us were underweight, even with all of our purchases together. This was accomplished by breaking our backs. A common trick around the group was to stuff our backpacks with everything that wouldn't fit into our suitcase. Thankfully all of us had gone to high school which prepared us for carrying heavy backpacks around all day. Bit of a surprise came when we found out there was no group bag, since there had been discussion of getting one. But everything worked out fine, to my knowledge, nothing broke. The only thing I regret leaving behind is my water gun.
    That was yesterday. This morning I woke up at 9:55. Breakfast here closes at 10. I activated my ninja superpowers by grabbing some pants and making it down in time to grab some potatoes and toast. Not that I wasn't wearing pants before, I just changed quickly into jeans.
    Today we went to another market!! It was the biggest one yet, we barely covered half of it in our 2.5 hours there. The best and worst part was the pet section. Yes, there was a section dedicated to selling pets there. Puppies and bunnies were the only two kinds that we saw on our walk through. Based off that example, this place sold everything. There was a furniture district, an accessories district, multiple clothing districts, you can see why it is so big.
    So, here's something gross for everyone. At first I thought I was allergic to my new deodorant. After not using it yesterday (one of the more bad ideas I've had this trip) I have come to a realization. I have fungus in my underarms. The first time I went to the pharmacy the pharmacist had just gone on break. Unknowingly abandoned by Drexler I waited 15 minutes for his return which never happened. Did not help my abandonment issues at all.
    Dinner tonight was like Thanksgiving but with all Thai food. That means we were stuffed. Niko kept trying to fall asleep at the table. The food wasn't the part that stuffed us, it was the desert. If you have never had mangoes and sticky rice you are missing out. Big time. I'm going to make it at home as often as I can. Because it is nutritious and filling.
    The second trip to the pharmacy was a bit different than in America. They had eight different anti fungal medicines so the pharmacist was called over to help. These were the questions he asked me:

  1. Pill or Cream?? 
  2. Boy or Girl?? 
  3. Which part of the body??
It was a free, awkward, doctor's appointment. Very very awkward. And public. At least no one else there could understand what we were saying. Maybe he thought I was picking it up for someone or I do not know why that second question is in there.
    Our roommates got switched again and I am really enjoying living with Karen. We have really random conversations sometimes and it's very nice. I have made a huge mess in one corner of the room and she doesn't complain about it. Plus, we both love to eat sugar. Tonight she was playing solitaire and complained to me on how she always looses because she can only get through the deck once. I told her to switch over to regular solitaire instead of Vegas. When she did, her life changed. Suddenly, she felt like the world was telling her to go ahead with her life because whenever she reached the end of the deck, she could start it over. She has a new groove, her past scores have been reset. She won one game, but I have touched her life and made it better.
    Okay, I have been watching this video for the last few hours. Because I am so very productive. It's called Guilty Pug. If you like dogs, watch it. If you need some parenting tips, watch it. If you like men with a Southern drawl, watch it.

No comments: